you have cheated?
Yes, actually about 8 hours after my last post. Lance and I decided it was time to go out to eat, not only because the thought of more zucchini was turning our stomachs, but because I was mentally exhausted by trying to figure out how to feed us.
So, we had a cheater day, then restarted with fewer restrictions. The 2nd week on the diet was much more tolerable only because I did allow us to indulge in very small portions of potato and rice. It is still amazing to me how mentally challenging it is to come up with starch alternatives that will fill you up.
Within week 2, I had a regular prenatal check up. (I am now going every two weeks) I was so totally astounded to hear that I had LOST 4 pounds (in my last trimester mind you) and my diastolic blood pressure reading (the bottom number) went down by 10. Now, I am not trying to lose weight nor do I think that losing weight was a particularly good thing during my pregnancy, but it did give me some positive feedback for our dietary efforts. ( I will now be eating every 20 minutes to compensate for my weight loss. I just don't know if I can handle that much cheese and nuts)
In addition to the positive feedback from the doctor, we found a couple at our church that have done/are doing the same diet. What a blessing and refreshing thing to hear how this diet has changed them and how it is still possible to cook seemingly normal things. I never thought I would get so excited about a pizza crust recipe. I do, however, have to go buy 3 new kinds of flour, but it is totally worth it.
This diet has also sparked many conversations between my husband and I, as well as other family members. While I do think this diet will be extremely helpful to our overall health, I do also think that something like this can easily become a form of legalism or idolatry. I read a very helpful post on a blog called "Passionate Homemaking." The post was titled, Balancing Nutrition With Priorities" and it was both convicting and helpful. For any interested, here is a link to the article.
So, while we are still committed to this diet, we pray that our hearts stay fixed on Christ and not the illusion that we are ultimately in control of our health. Treat our body as a temple, yes. Be a wise eater, yes. Yet, do not put health on a throne above God.
On a lighter note... I will be making us a diet friendly frozen yogurt tonight that I am hoping can become a regular occurrence. We will see.
No comments:
Post a Comment